Sunday, November 14, 2010

Know Thyself

I'm a forty-something Mom, and I've spent quite a bit of time learning about myself over the years, lol.

You know that some people really don't know themselves very well, right?  As a physician, I saw it all the time in the office.  There are just tricks that certain personality types should be using, but most people don't really know what personality type they are, let alone what tricks work with what types.

I am a sanguine personality type and there are all kinds of tricks that I use to make myself help me to make better decisions and follow through with the commitments that I make...because that's something that I struggle with...follow through.
The Sanguine temperament personality is fairly extroverted. People of a sanguine temperament tend to enjoy social gatherings, making new friends and tend to be quite loud. They are usually quite creative and often daydream. However, some alone time is crucial for those of this temperament. Sanguine can also mean very sensitive, compassionate and thoughtful. Sanguine personalities generally struggle with following tasks all the way through, are chronically late (which I have overcome in my life, by the way), and tend to be forgetful and sometimes a little sarcastic. Often, when pursuing a new hobby, interest is lost quickly when it ceases to be engaging or fun. They are very much people persons. They are talkative and not shy. For some people, these are the ones you want to be friends with and usually they become life long friends. (from Wikipedia; emphasis and parenthetical phrases mine)
Anyway...

Practicing my FMQ (free motion quilting) is one of those things.

I enjoy it, but I've already kind of hit a plateau and so it's just not exciting anymore.  (Insert big "boo hoo for you!" here, lol.)

So, I know that unless the practice squares are pre-made, I'm more than likely going to be able to talk myself out of practicing each day...so today, I"m making up enough practice squares for the week.  That way, I won't be able to blow it off because "it would take so much time to make up the practice squares." (Like, say, less than two minutes.)

What are some of the things that you do to "trick" yourself into "eating your vegetables?"

What are you doing to perfect your craft today?

Oh, by the way, I forgot to post a picture of the batting samples that I got from Harriet's Treadle Arts on Friday.  I can't wait to use them and see how the quilting looks different when you use different types of batting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone in blogland LOVES comments! I try and respond to each one.