Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Preparing to Become a Better Machine Quilter

Not only am I working through Harriet's Quilter's Academy, I'm also working to become a better machine quilter.

I made a commitment to myself to go through the exercises that she teaches in her Heirloom Quilting Class every day for 30 days in a row.  This is Day Three.

Since I was out of practice squares, I needed to make some more.

So, I thought, "I'll just get this done as quickly as possible," but then, I heard, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."

I guess I should start out by telling you what I mean by practice squares.  Practice squares are squares of batting and scrap fabric (or muslin) that you practice your FMQ (free motion quilting) on.  Harriet suggests 14" squares.  She even sells sets of 14" squares of all the different kinds of batting that she carries in her store.  I ordered a set because I would like to see how different the quilting looks with different kinds of batting.

I'm a Warm 'n' Natural kind of a girl, but only because I buy batting by the bolt and that's what I could get locally. I'm anxious to get the samples of the other kind of batting and see what other kinds of bat I like!

Here's my batting squares. I cut them from the extra batting left over from quilts.


Anyway!

A L-O-N-G time ago, I bought this huge (I can't remember how many yards, maybe 20) length of white muslin.  I bought it to make up practice squares, but I never did it.  (Just think how good I would be by now if I had started WAY back then, lol.)

So, I was just going to go ahead and just cut the fabric into 14" squares and then I thought, "No, I'll press it first."  This is what it looks like unpressed, lol.


Kinda icky, huh?

And this is how it looks all pressed and starched.


A bit better.

Yes, it took a little time and effort...but is becoming a better machine quilter worth a few extra minutes of my time?  I think it is.

Have a quilty day!

1 comment:

  1. I like Warm & Natural because it is thin and easy to quilt. However, our most snuggly quilts are made with poofy batting and not so much quilting. I am going to practice machine quilting this year and I know that the W&N is good because you have more "squish" room in your machine, but still - for the little kids quilts, I still buy the thick batting. Looking forward to your future posts about your quilting adventure. Cheers! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

Everyone in blogland LOVES comments! I try and respond to each one.