Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Eyes Are Opened

It's amazing the things that I am noticing now that I've taken a class from HH (Harriet Hargrave, lol).

I'm noticing that the fabric isn't on the straight grain.

It's a subtle thing, and I know that I cannot describe it here, but it's making me unsettled.

When I'm sewing seams, I've noticed that the fabric acts squirrelly...it shifts all by itself.

Starch helps a little, but I'm learning that I have to use the starch before-hand.

And, little bobbles that I would have never noticed are apparent to me.

I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Harriet really encouraged us not to be hyper-critical of our work, and I'm generally not.

BH (Before Harriet), I was a pretty good piecer.  I would say that 95% of my corners came together perfectly.  I rarely chopped of the corners of triangles, etc.

BUT...

My pressing was REALLY sloppy.

AND, I achieved these results by constantly "adjusting to fit."  I would sew seams together, and it one was a little longer, I would ease it to fit the shorter one.

I made large, uncomplicated blocks so that I wouldn't have to match a lot of seams, etc.

My focus was to get lots of piecing done, quilt it as simply as possible, and then get the quilt finished.

Now, I'm not sure what to focus on and I'm feeling unsettled...I think I'm having growing pains.

So, I've determined that I'm going to just accept it.

Growing pains are good because...that means I'm growing in my craft!

When I come out on the other side, this will all be a memory and I'll be closer to my goal of becoming a master quilter.

So, here I go.

I'll get my quilting practice done...make a list of the projects that I need to finish up...number them, and draw out a lucky winner!

What are you going to do to perfect your craft today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone in blogland LOVES comments! I try and respond to each one.